While it is possible to configure an Android phone using the keyboard and never having to make a connection to a PC, it can still be a fiddly affair to configure and run all tasks from the phone. Some phone manufacturers and wireless carriers offer primitive software solutions to this problem to enable you to manage your Android phone from a PC there are also better developed third party solutions for this. One such solution to manage your Android phone from a PC is AirDroid a wire-free solution that lets you manage your phone and access the features from a web-browser.
Using AirDroid allows you to work with more efficiency and communicate with contacts, organise your contact lists, manage apps, manipulate files, and more all from your PC. All you need to run AirDroid is an Android device, a desktop PC, laptop or netbook and a wireless LAN connection preferably with Internet access. The Internet access is necessary for accessing data through the Android mobile.
How to Set Up AirDroid to Manage Your Android Device from a PC
- Ensure you have a WiFi Internet connection with both the Android phone and PC connected to it.
- Download the AirDroid app from the Google Play store on your Android phone or tablet.
- Disable “Power Saving Mode” and enable “Keep Screen Awake” on your Android phone to prevent the phone from shutting down when it is not in use and keep the device connection alive. This is only a recommendation and not mandatory. It will quickly drain the device battery so it is a good idea to have it plugged into a charger while you do it and remember to reset the “Power Saving Mode” once you have finished management.
- Open the AirDroid app. We recommend you sign up for an AirDroid account when prompted. While this is not absolutely necessary it enables you to have access to all the AirDroid features.
- Enable the “Find Phone” feature when prompted if you want to be able to use AirDroid to locate your phone in the event that it is lost or stolen.
- Tap the “Connection” tab on the AirDroid home screen.
- Choose which connection you would like to connect to the PC through. You can connect through “Lite” connection mode, “LAN” connection mode or “Remote” connection mode. If you want to connect through the local network then choose “Lite” and go to step 8. If you wish to connect through the LAN network then choose “LAN” and go to step 9. If your devices are not connected to the same network but both have an Internet connection then choose “Remote” and go to step 10.
- Tap the “Accept” button to accept the local connection when prompted.Go to step 11.
- Open http://web.airdroid.com on your desktop web browser. Tap the Scan QR Code button on the Android device. Point the device camera at the QR code shown in the desktop Web browser. The device will immediately be connected once the connection is verified. Login to your AirDroid account to access additional functions. Go to step 11.
- Open http://web.airdroid.com on your desktop web browser. Tap the Scan QR Code button on the Android device. Point the device camera at the QR code shown in the desktop Web browser. The device will immediately be connected once the connection is verified. Login to your AirDroid account to access additional functions. Note that if you are connecting your Android phone through a mobile data connection then additional charges might be incurred. Go to step 11.
- Manage data on your Android phone from the PC. For more information on managing specific data check out the AirDroid guide.