Watching movies on iTunes is one of the favorite uses for many PC and MacBook users, especially since the rise of tablets and smartphones which the movies can be streamed on. However some movies are not always necessarily in your own language, or the language of people you are showing the movie to. While most movies downloaded from the iTunes stores have a selection of subtitles included, not all languages are supported and this is not the case for any movies you have added to iTunes yourself such as replicating your DVD collection. It is possible to add subtitles to iTunes movies using an external program Submerge. This program is available as a free demo.
How to Add Subtitles to iTunes Movies and Videos
- Open your web browser. Visit OpenSubtitle.org.
- Type the name of the movie that you wish to add subtitles to in the “Search” field. Select the desired language of subtitle and click the “Search” button.
- Download the subtitle file from the search results.
- Open your web browser. Navigate to a Submerge download source. Download and install Submerge on your PC.
- Open Submerge and drag-and-drop the movie file you wish to add subtitles to into the Submerge window. Click on the title and select the “Open” button.
- Click the “Choose” button on the left-hand side in the toolbar.
- Choose the “.srt” file for your movie and click “Open.” The subtitles will be rendered onto the video.
- Skip through the movie using the navigation controls and confirm that the subtitles are in the correct place.
- Click the “Settings” button. Use the settings control panel to customise the look of your subtitles such as font, size and time offset.
- Click the “Render” button on the toolbar to finalise the settings.
- Go to the “File” menu. Select “Save As.” Give your subtitled movie a name and click the “Save” button. a new file will be created by submerge of the movie with the subtitles hard-coded on it. As the movie is not really being altered this only takes around a minute or two.
- Drag the new movie file into iTunes to import it. Watch your movie in iTunes.