The free messaging service WhatsApp is one of the most popular methods on earth for smartphone users to kee in contact with one and other. Over an Internet connection users can send free text and voice messages, photos and videos to one and other across the cross-platform network. If for any reason your messages are deleted by mistake or deliberately there are a couple of ways in which you can recover them to view again on your device.
How to Recover Deleted Messages in WhatsApp
Recover Deleted Messages in WhatsApp for iPhone
- Make sure that your iPhone is signed in to iCloud (iPhone Settings > iCloud) and that “Documents and Data” is set to “On” (iPhone Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data).
- Verify that you have backup for your WhatsApp chat history. Go to WhatsApp Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Backup. Check to see when the last backup was performed.
- Press the iPhone home button to return to the main screen. Hold down the WhatsApp icon until it begins to shake. Press “x” to delete WhatsApp.
- Go to the App Store. Download a new version of WhatsApp. Sign in again. Your backed up messages should be displayed.
Recover Deleted Messages in WhatsApp for Android
- Uninstall WhatsApp from your Android device. WhatsApp makes backups every day to your Android device SD card so all conversations up to then will be saved.
- Visit the Google Play store. Download a new version of WhatsApp. Sign in. During the installation process you will be prompted if you would like to restore your message history. Tap “Restore” to recover your deleted chats.
Recover Deleted Messages in WhatsApp for BlackBerry
- Delete WhatsApp from your BlackBerry device
- Remove and replace the battery from the BlackBerry. Reboot the device.
- Open the “BlackBerry Media” folder.
- Go to Media Card > databases > WhatsApp. Locate the file called “messagestore.db.” Rename the file “123messagestore.db”. WhatsApp will restore the most recent chat history that was saved. The backup is created every day.
- Re-install WhatsApp on your BlackBerry device.
Recover Deleted Messages in WhatsApp for Windows Phone
- Open the main “Chats” screen in the WhatsApp app. Tap on the icon containing three dots in the lower right-hand corner.
- Tap Settings>Backup. View the time of the last backup. DO not hit backup again or a new backup will be created erasing the previous backup containing the messages.
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp. When prompted if you would like to reinstall backed up messages click “Yes.”
Recover Deleted Messages in WhatsApp for Nokia S60
- Open WhatsApp and go to Settings > Chat History > [Backup chat history]. Tap “yes” to make sure that your phone backs up conversations.
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp. Click on “Restore” when prompted and your message history should reappear.