As of yesterday the long wait is over and iOS 7 has been rolled out by Apple as the publicly-available operating system for iPhone, iPad and iPod. Owners of these gadgets are sure to want to get acquainted with the sleek new design and features that has a much more minimalistic look than its predecessors.
Apple themselves declare that “conspicuous ornamentation has been stripped away. Unnecessary bars and buttons have been removed.” So gone are the imitation faux leather/ metal looks behind certain applications to be replaced by a colourful design on the front side and content-focused light areas within apps and features.
New features have also appeared in the new iOS release with among the most exciting being the control centre. Swiping up from the base of the screen in any application will show this feature where you can quickly adjust the most important iOS device settings such as Bluetooth, WiFi, screen brightness, music player and the Airdrop feature. You can even quickly access the calculator or turn an iPhone into a torch using the flash on the rear of the device.
Swiping up presents you with the notification centre where you will see your most recent notifications displayed and other customisable data including weather, stocks and more. The new iOS release also sees the addition of iTunes radio, Apple’s new music streaming app.
The app release has been timed just before the release of the new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C next week. Although all new iPhones, iPads and iPods will come with this software pre-installed from now on it is a simple enough task to get iOS 7 onto your older device straight away.
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Install iOS 7
- Back up your iPhone, iPod or iPad by syncing it with your computer. This can be done via WiFi or more quickly by connecting it via the USB port. This will ensure that you have all of your photos, information and other data stored before attempting the upgrade.
Update on the iOS Device
- Go to “Settings” on your iOS device
- Tap on “General” in the settings menu.
- Select “Software Update.” The device will check for the update. You will be prompted if you want to download and install iOS 7. Hit the “Download and Install” button to begin the download.
Update via iTunes
- Plug your iOS device into your computer with the USB cable.
- Open iTunes
- Click on the device in the top right-hand side of the navigation bar.
- Click the “Check for Update” button” located on the “Summary” tab.
- Click “Download and Install” when prompted. It might be necessary to update to the latest version of iTunes first, in which case iTunes will direct you what to do.