Websites and blogs offer businesses and individuals an excellent way to communicate with the world and display their wares. It is absolutely mandatory for a business to have a website nowadays and many people like to share their thoughts, work, news and other opinions with readers online via blogs. Despite being incorrectly labelled purely as a blogging platform by many, it is possible to build a website using the free content management system WordPress. Follow the steps below to find out how to setup a free WordPress website and get your website or blog online in minutes.
How to Setup a Free WordPress Website Steps
- Navigate to WordPress.com.
- Click on the “Get Started” button.
- Fill in your desired username, password and email details in the designated columns.
- Choose the website/blog name. This will be followed by “.wordpress.com.” If you wish to have a custom domain name then you should register a free hosting plan.
- Scroll to the base of the page and click on the “Create Blog” button.
- Check your email inbox. Click on the “Activate Blog” button in the activation email from WordPress.
- Enter your website title and tagline in the designated areas in the pop-up window. Indicate the language that the blog/website will be in.Click the “next step” button.
- Choose a theme for the website/blog from the selection provided. You can change the theme to another later if you don’t find one you specifically want. Customise the theme when prompted to achieve the look you want. This can also be changed later. Click the “next step” button.
- Create your first post. Choose the type of post you wish to make and enter the details. Click the “Finish” button.
- Enter “yourblogname.wordpress.com/wp-admin” in the URL bar and hit “Enter.” If prompted enter your username and password to log into your free WordPress website CMS dashboard.
- Create your website pages. In WordPress “Pages” are the static parts of your website whereas “Posts” are the blog entries and news feed. They will be displayed in different menus depending on the theme you are using. Hover over the “Pages” button in the left-hand navigation bar. Click “Add New.” Write your page and title. Click on the “Add Media” button and follow the directions to insert images into your page. Click the “save Draft” button to save your work as you go. When you have finished your page, click the blue “Publish” button in the right-hand sidebar.
- Create more posts. Hover over the “Posts” button in the left-hand navigation bar. Click on “Add New.” Write your post and title. Click on the “Add Media” button and follow the directions to insert images into your post. Click the “save Draft” button to save your work as you go. When you have finished your post, click the blue “Publish” button in the right-hand sidebar.
- Click on the name of your website/blog in the top left-hand corner of the dashboard to visit your web page and see how it looks.